August 8th, 2016 | Paper Cranes

Moderate Rain, 36°C

No. 330, Benguan Road, Niaosong District

Monday morning. I woke up quite early this morning at 6 a.m. because of the strange yellow light effect coming in through my bedroom window. When I open my eyes and looked through the window it was raining outside. That was very unusual. So I decided to get out of bed and prepare my sons breakfast. His breakfast is already pre-cooked all I need to do is take one serving out of the freezer and put it in a steamer for about 30 minutes. Alexander woke up at 7:30am so I took him to have his breakfast. Plus 1 banana. He loves to eat bananas!

At 8 o’clock my wife and I took Alexander to daycare because today we need to both go to the funeral home to do more arrangements together. Su Ching Mai’s memorial photo is on a display stand in a room at the funeral home. But as of yet there are no flowers around it. So I decided that I would make 100 origami cranes. 51 cranes For 51 years of her life and 49 more cranes for the years cut short. I was told the paper cranes can be cremated with her. That would be nice.

So I needed to get some origami paper supplies. But first my wife and I went to the hospital where my mother-in-law passed away to pick up a death certificate. After that I went to a stationery store called “9×9″and I purchase some origami paper.

Then we headed to the funeral home which is located in Niaosong District in Kaohsiung. This is also the same area where I had previously been when my wife’s cat died last year. The cat was cremated here at a pet cemetery. I guess it is the main funeral service area for Kaohsiung.

At about 10:10 a.m. I started folding my first set of paper cranes. At 10:30 my wife took me to see my mother-in-law’s body. I was surprised that she was in a refrigeration unit behind the curtain where her memorial area was. The unit she lay in was set at about minus 16 degrees Celsius. If you have ever seen the movie called “ET the extra terrestrial” there is a scene where a young boy is looking through the glass lid of a refrigerated coffin. That is pretty much similar to what I experienced today. It was a strange surreal feeling to look at a person who you had only talked to a few days ago now lying motionless behind a glass window in the cold. She kind of looked like a giant sleeping doll. I had also noticed that the swelling of her face has gone down considerably, thank goodness. And her skin was quite clear and wrinkle-free. I guess she’s stayed out of the Sun.

Before we left at 4pm to pick up Alexander from day care one of mom’s younger sisters arrived with four bouquets of fresh flowers. Lovely.

Powered by Journey.